Claymont School District was formed in 1965 by the consolidation of Uhrichsville, Dennison, Union Township and Rush Township schools. The students voted on the new name for the district along with colors and mascot. “Claymont” and “Mustangs” ran away from the field in student balloting for the name and mascot for the new consolidated school district, but the choice of colors was so close that a reballoting was rescheduled. Unofficially, 1235 ballots were cast between the Dennison, Uhrichsville and Union Local High School students citizens.
“Claymont” was chosen as the new district’s name while some of the other choices were “Lakeview”, “Twin City”, “Richen” and “Waterford”. The school name was indicative of the local clay industry. The nickname of “Mustangs” was selected over “Titans”, “Comets”, “Wildcats”, “Rams”, “Eagles” and “Lions”. The school colors of “Brown and White” were selected over several other color choices. Those colors were “Black and White”, “Red and White”, “Red and Blue” and “Green and White”. Over the years “Orange” has been added as an accessory color.
The district has five school buildings. The schools are High, Middle, Intermediate, Elementary and Primary.
The Mustangs are members of the Ohio High School Athletic Association with earning State Championships in:
- Girls’ Basketball in 1981
- Wrestling in 1992